What's On

Temporary Exhibitions

Until 24th September 2017 Brindley 300 - Life and Achievements of James Brindley

300 years after his birth, this major exhibition was produced by the National Waterways Museum and is now showing in London for the first time.

James Brindley is one of our most famous canal engineers. Originally a millwright, he had skills in the management of water engineering that led to his appointment as the engineer of a great enterprise by the Duke of Bridgewater. The Duke led a team of himself, Brindley, and his land agent John Gilbert, who together built the Bridgewater Canal and the ingenious system of underground canals at Worsley, west of Manchester, where the Duke had coal mines. The canal opened in 1761 and was the first modern canal in the UK, operating independently of natural rivers, and entirely man-made. It provided a far more efficient and economical way of getting coal to Manchester and reduced the price of that essential fuel dramatically in the city. Brindley went on to engineer extensions to the Bridgewater, and the Trent and Mersey Canal, and a number of other significant waterways. This pioneering work made the industrial revolution possible - without transport industry was severely restricted.


We offer a range of special events. On the first Thursday evening of each month (except August) there is an illustrated talk by a visiting speaker on a subject related to canals or industrial history. The admission charge is the same as for normal admission. The talk starts at 1930 and usually ends at around 2100.

Other types of event that we run:

Visit Menu

Mobile Home